Sunday, March 29, 2009

Bad day

Nothing -- and I mean nothing -- gives me pause about my time spent in the band like doing taxes. Since everything is filed under my name and information, I pay the band's taxes. Which means my refund goes way, way down. Just watching my refund, my PERSONAL refund (i.e. not band, although in the eyes of the IRS, it's one in the same), plummet by thousands of dollars from entering 1099-MISCs earned by the band is enough to make me want to leave the country. It doesn't seem right to me, but it is sort of my cross to bear since I am the one financially responsible for the band, and have been. And it's been like this every year the band has been around, because we are still fairly unprofitable and the money we do make is untaxed -- until I file, of course. And best of all, my taxes aren't even done yet. So take heart: there's still money to lose.

I need to find a solution to this. Creamer is calling his accountant, but that's no sure bet. I've talked to Todd about this before, but he files personally since he is his band, basically. I've tried to file for a business tax ID number before, and I need to continue doing so, because this is getting beyond ridiculous. Anyhow, advice is appreciated. Have at it.

Compounding my frustrations, the Mavs just blew a 15-point lead to Cleveland and lost by almost 30. A 45-point swing. And it's raining outside. And I threw out my back playing basketball yesterday (though it feels MUCH better). And I have a bunch more to complain about, but neither the energy nor the willing audience, I'm sure. Either way, bad, bad day.

Anyhow, the band played two shows this weekend, one at the Dive Bar and the other in Pawtucket, R.I. at a bar called the Blackstone. Both were pretty cool, but fairly unthrilling. Truth be told, I'm not really thinking about that right now, so I'd rather not recap. Maybe later.

Pawtucket SET LIST: Ordinary Girls / Lights On / Don't Get Me Wrong / Golden Fleece / Someday Darling / Seek Cover / Cedar / Shotgun Wedding / Shine a Light

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sophia Cacciola said...

you gotta keep track of your expenses and write those off. It's more forms, but probably worth doing.

29 March, 2009 13:55  
Blogger Michael Epstein said...

...what Sophia said. We end up losing money overall, so after the write-off, I get a return from band expenses, rather than having to pay more. If you're making a profit, then you're stuck...and I want to know how you're doing it!!!

29 March, 2009 15:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home