Monday, January 12, 2009

Patience: a virtue?

So they say. And Creamer and Todd and seemingly every mentor this band has preaches patience like the gospel. Yes, patience is important, particularly when you're chasing a dream that often requires more luck than talent (unfortunately). Waiting for that luck to kick in takes all the patience a band has.

Now, I know that this record is going to be good. We all know that. We waited long enough to do it, so they songs are primed and ready to go. We also know that it takes work and time in the studio in order to make it as good as it deserves to be. Patience, not rushing.

I can have this patience when I need to (for example, booking this tour, you absolutely must have patience since returns on your emails on one response for every 25 sent out). However, I'm not built like that. I like to work hard and fast and soon see the results of my labor -- that's the journalist in me. But also, if you're really putting everything you have into your dream, shouldn't you be putting it all in ALL THE TIME? Nothing wrong with hard, constant, consistent work.

This is why it bothers me to some extent that Creamer told me I need to remove the word "rush" from my vocabulary (oddly enough, I hadn't used the word when he said that). He has a different, albeit effective, way of working than yours truly. He is an old pro, and knows when to push hard and when to lay back and watch the returns roll in. I recognize that, and yet I like to really strike while the iron is hot, or rather do everything I can to put myself and the band in a position to succeed at all times. Is it really wrong that we have these two divergent styles? I don't think so.

Back to the record: Yesterday I wrote that perhaps we'd have to make some decisions sooner rather than later. The band seems to agree. Todd seems to disagree, however he hasn't been concrete on a backup plan. I suppose a lot of this will be worked out soon, when we discuss scheduling with Dave. We know we need at least one more day of studio time for instrument overdubs (piano, organ, etc) and of course, the vocal overdubs. Maybe we will have an extra day of guitar overdubs, too. It all goes by the budget.

But we're rushed by the premise of having this record in time to depart for touring on March 6 (having copies is something we may have to forfeit, as we don't want to be so shortsighted that we don't give the recording process its due diligence). We're rushed by budget restrictions, Dave's limited time, etc. So what's wrong with working quickly and well?

Todd says that we may have to give up on the idea that the record will be done and available in time for the tour. I think that's the opposite of rushing, that's quitting. Who's to say so early that we can't accomplish both? We have A LOT of time left, including 2-3 weeks between finishing vocals and mixing (though if we do need to do extra recording days, it's tough to book the necessary time).

This is what I'm saying: I don't think I'm rushing these decisions, though I do think it's good to keep tabs on them so they don't sneak up on us. I think I'm trying to get us to go at a comfortable and responsible pace, while still getting what we want and need from this record. Maybe that's asking too much. Maybe I'm too new to this to know how it truly works. We shall see.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home