Tuesday, December 16, 2008

A joy to get

Years ago, when I was just starting at The Globe, I wrote an email to a columnist I admired. He had written a particularly poignant piece and I just wanted to tell him how it resonated with me. Sure, it was a bit strange being so honest about rather personal feelings with a stranger, but at the same time, I felt he would understand. After all, he had connected with me through his writing; perhaps I could connect with him in my praise. Anyhow, I'll never forget the response I got; I thought it was so elegant: "Hey Glenn, that's an extremely thoughtful note, and one that was a joy to get." Obviously, there was a bit more to it than that, but I kind of liked the simplicity of that message. It was neither judgmental for my stepping-out-on-a-limb note, but also appreciative.

Now the roles have reversed, and the band is on the receiving end of a note of praise. This floated into the email from someone who saw in NYC on Thursday:
Was great to meet you guys at the Bowery! I admit I came for LTC but you guys were a great surprise. I bought both the CD's you had there and have been playing them nonstop. I also downloaded "It's Gonna Change" again on iTunes because my fracking CD drive crapped out and I couldn't get it transferred to my iPhone.

I used to be a college radio DJ for a few years and I think I have a pretty good ear. You guys are gonna make it.

I considered stealing the columnist's response, as to convey the proper message that I certainly couldn't, but alas, I spoke it from the heart. What an amazing note to get, though. And yes, it was a joy.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home