Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving thanks

Speaking of Matt (in a non-Fios commercial way), he made the Thanksgiving edition of the Boston Globe yesterday. In Jonathan Perry's article about what local musicians are thankful for, Matt gives a good ole Cassavettes shout-out.
Thanksgiving is an important holiday. Loading up on carbs, calories, and tryptophan are all crucial components to hibernation in the winter months - and let's face it, the latter, nap-inducing property found in turkey has proved essential to our ability to get through a four-hour dinner with extended family members.

Thanksgiving is also a time to take stock; to appreciate what we've got. In that spirit, we asked some Boston-area musicians what they're thankful for, and who or what has inspired them this year. Many were kind enough to take time out from gorging themselves unconscious on stove-top stuffing (or maybe that's just us) and e-mail us back. Here's some of what they had to say.

"I'm thankful to the guys in Cassavettes for nurturing my newfound appreciation for Neil Young. I never thought I liked any of his music, as I was only familiar with the same three songs I had been hearing my whole life. But the guys insisted I take a hard listen to his work, and I'm better off for it."

MATT SNOW, Cassavettes


Actually, that's only a little bit of what Matt wrote to Jonathan. Here's all of what he is thankful for, pulled from our band email account...
What am I thankful for professionally? I would say its all of our friends who always come out to our shows. It doesn't matter if we haven't seen or talked to some of those people in awhile, they still come out and show their support for what we are doing. Its awesome to look out on a room and see a bunch of people having a blast with you. I'm also thankful for Glenn's van sticking with us. That great white beast has had some miles put on her in the last year, its a beautiful thing to see that majestic four-wheeled albatross of a car pull out of his driveway without a problem...most days.

I'm thankful to the guys in Cassavettes for nurturing my new-found appreciation for Neil Young over the past year. I never really thought I liked any of his music, as I was only familiar with the same three songs I had been hearing my whole life. But the guys insisted that I take a hard listen to his work, and I'm better off for it. It gave me a better grasp of the idea of the song as a complete work, and I think its helped us improve our overall sound.

Also, included in the article are our buddies like Kier of Three Day Threshold (who's photo ran with the piece...BIG SHOTS!) and Ryan from Hallelujah the Hills, but also this out-of-the-blue shout-out from Ward, which we appreciate.
"I am thankful for our fellow Boston band Cassavettes! Not only do we share a practice space with them, but they don't scold us when we leave the door open for weekends at a time or get angry when they find unexplained tissues all over the floor. (Also), Ray LaMontagne's new album, 'Gossip in the Grain.' Just flat-out beautiful music."

It's true, we have had some issues with them over leaving the door open (though those evaporated when Matt did the exact same thing -- and he's being too nice, we did scold them a bit), but at the end of the day, they are some of our best friends and we love them like brothers. We're certainly thankful for Girls Guns & Glory and Three Day Threshold -- two bands who have helped us grow, and hopefully we have helped, too. I am quite proud to call them our friends.

Personally, I am thankful for the dudes in Cassavettes. There's no one else I'd rather be doing this with. It's been an insane ride, and it will continue to be.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

I was talking to someone on Thanksgiving about Neil Young. He was a fan, but said that his friends weren't. I told him that you either like Neil Young or you're wrong. He was great at the Orpheum last year; ended with "Cortez".

Just saw GGG at Church last night and 3DT recently up in NH. Both rocked, of course. C'mon up to NH, if you can! We're just over the border and starved for good music.

Listened to Uncle Tupelo's "March 16–20, 1992" on the way home. Amazing disc.

Happy Holidays!

29 November, 2008 07:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home