Friday, March 14, 2008

T for Texas

Austin, Texas -- You know, I'm supposed to be blogging this for The Globe, like I did last year. And I should be blogging here, too, but I haven't done either. So I'll try to catch you up.

Dallas was a trip, especially getting in. Mike may have had the most trouble, getting stuck in Arkansas as he details in his blog. But Scott and I both had canceled flights, not due to weather in Boston but, get this, five inches of snow on the ground in Dallas/Ft. Worth. I feared that I wouldn't make it in time for our show on Saturday, but we all did somehow. We filled up J&J's with raucous good times and one incredibly dance-friendly Joe Laubacher. He almost knocked Mike's tooth out -- I had a close call or two but I kept my distance from his dance moves.












SET LIST: The Nadir / Debts / Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / Loose Lips / Shotgun Wedding / Golden Fleece / Madeline / Trouble From the Start / You'll Be Crying Soon / On the Lam / I Come From the Water / Shine a Light

Other highlights of the Dallas area: the Mavs game was killer; band photos with Gene in the countryside; and, while visiting our old high school to see an old teacher, we were recognized by some kids we don't know in one of our few rocker moments -- they yelled "Whoo Cassavettes" and we felt like rockers. That's how it goes. Here are just a few of Gene's many incredible photos:





Anyhow, Austin has been nuts ever since we arrived in two cars crammed with drums on Wednesday evening. I've managed to catch nearly every show I've wanted to.

The first night, we snuck in the backdoor to see Kim Taylor play, and ran into Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine. Then we headed down the street to the Misra showcase to catch Boston's own Hallelujah the Hills (one of the loudest shows I think I've ever seen) and Denton's pride, and band favorite, Centro-matic. Centro was killing it, but I still left in the middle of the set to see a few songs by Lemonheads down the street. When I returned to Centro, it was in time to see "Fidgeting Wildly." Awesome night.

Yesterday, we grabbed some Don Juans -- some sort of breakfast burrito with a bunch of tasty treats in it -- from Juan in a Million and then high tailed it to S. Congress to see old buddies Frank Smith tear the roof off a roofless outdoor show. Matt, the pastiest member of the band, is now a certified Texan with a hilariously lobster-red neck. There were lots of kids there, including one really cool one who planted himself in front of the stage and gazed up in awe the entire time. Our humble host, Andrea (upon whose couch I sit and on whose computer I write), led us to a friend's apartment which just happened to overlook a set by Okkerville River. I'm not nuts about them, but they did play they only song I really know and like, so that was cool. Plus, there were tons of dogs. So the afternoon was spent hanging with kids and dogs at various times...pretty cool. Spoon was playing a free outdoor show that evening, and the whole town was rumored to attend, so we headed over early to guarantee entry. We had to sit through sets by Grupo Fantasma and Del the Funky Homosapien, but it may have been worth it to see the toast of Austin play a sweet set in front of the skyline of Austin at night.

After a little trouble getting out of the venue, we took a long walk in an attempt to see Eli Paperboy Reed's set at Club Deville, but we decided not to go after surveying the line. Instead we grabbed some lackluster BBQ at Stubb's and ate in a hurry, so I could catch Alejandro Escovedo's set at 10:45. Matt went with me to see Alejandro, which was by far the best show I've seen in a long, long time. So rocking, but with violin, cello, and really great playing. Unbelievable. I got a chance to meet Alejandro after his set, one of the great thrills for me this week. Later, I got a chance to meet Rhett Miller, too, and instead of shaking his hand for some reason I repeatedly squeezed his bicep and talked about Todd Thibaud. Sweet. Jimmy and Andrea met up with us afterward for Old 97s set, but first we had to endure the awful set of Augustana. Hey, to each their own, but that band is not for me. Anyway, the drinking was condensed into their set, which made for a crazy, singalong Old 97s set. It was truly awesome. We met an ultimate fan named James and invited him to our set on Saturday.

Today, we're hanging and flying by the seat of our pants yet again. Tomorrow we play our lone set. Should be so, so, so good. I'll try to keep you updated.



Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Akinogal said...

This comment has been removed because it linked to malicious content. Learn more.

15 March, 2008 06:16  
Anonymous scott said...

click that one

16 March, 2008 07:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home