Monday, February 11, 2008

Extra surprise

I think fate flip-flopped on us this weekend. What I was expecting to be a crazy party was cool, but not too crazy. And what I was expecting to be subdued and calm was a crazily fun night in Providence, R.I.

Yes, as always, it has been too long. I really should have updated you after we cut the live record 2 Fridays ago. I won't get too deep into it, though I will post photos soon, but I will tell you what to expect. It will be an online-only release in all the usual vendors. It has 15 tracks, culled from new, old, released and unreleased material. All of the cuts are live except for the fact that due to clipping issues during recording that were out of control, we had to re-cut the bass and vocals. I would have preferred not to, but I don't think we sold-out our "live feel" soul. After all, the performances are all live, and the vocals were done with Mike and I at the same time, one take, minimal corrections, so it's still a warts and all procedure. The album does not have a name yet -- any ideas?












Now, to this weekend. I have been looking forward to this Drag the River show since we booked it. They're a sweet band that I thought would dig our style (I think they did? They had really nice things to say). This is possibly their final tour, though in this business it seems you never say never. I was pleasantly surprised to see that we were in the coveted third slot, perhaps the best time slot, right before Drag the River and right after our favorite buddies Girls Guns & Glory. Now, the crowd at the Mid East Up was quiet. Except for the usual suspects in the front, no act really got the crowd going and I'm not sure why. Perhaps because they were all looking forward to DTR and not interested in us? No, because even then they didn't get TOO loud. Maybe because a punk ethos says not to applaud? Who knows? After a performance that saw me break three strings, botch solos left and right as a result, Scott come unplugged, and leave every member of the band confused as to whether we played great or awful, there were lots of compliments (I, too, have a compliment for Matt for being able to read lips onstage when I told him we had to end "Shine A Light" early and he did so -- first time that's happened!). Lots of "Can I buy you a beer" talk. That made things better, because I was NOT having it onstage when my strings decided to go. Yeesh. Anyhow, cool show, but mostly because you can't ruin a night with GGG and DTR. Too sweet. Photos by Sooz here.
SET LIST (to the best of my recollection): Bad Television / Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / Debts / Golden Fleece / Madeline / On the Lam / Shotgun Wedding / Loose Lips / You'll Be Crying Soon / Shine A Light

The next night DTR played Providence. We did, too, but unfortunately couldn't pair up. We played a tiny spot in South Providence called The Libery Elm Diner that was, by all measurable counts, indeed tiny. The show was part of a series by locals Lucky 57 called "Your Roots are Showing" and it came with a bucket of beer and a free burger, so we were happy. But the little place filled up with locals who just come to groove and by the time we hit the stage after Mike MacDonald & The Widowmakers, we were in a euphoric mood. Lots of banter with the crowd and good times aplenty. We played a lower key set than usual, and, if you don't mind me saying, did it better than we ever thought we could, really. The songs we haven't played since late summer/early fall ("Seasons, "The Devil's Arms") were excellent. Who knew? Things were rocky with not one, but two Neil Young covers, but who cares? The show was a total surprise -- lots of fun, good merch sales, and a lot of good people. We paved roads to more Connecticut shows and at least 2 more Providence shows!
SET LIST (again, to my memory's best abilities): The Nadir / Madeline / Debts / Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / Seasons / Like Secrets Beneath / Ohio / Cinnamon Girl / The Devil's Arms / Golden Fleece

After the show, 3 of 4 Cassavettes somehow found their way to Jake's in downtown to catch the second half of DTR's set with some GGG buddies. Totally unbelievable night. Lots of laughs. One of the best nights I've had in 2008 -- and the best night I've ever had in Providence.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous scott said...

to be fair, i didn't come unplugged for once. my cord was cutting out. so i ran offstage after the 2nd or 3rd song to grab another one. there were some guys who looked like they were on the tennis team in high school wearing button up shirts and white ball caps ("yeah-dudes" for lack of a better term), who kept saying "yo you need this?" and offering me little things by the stage and making things worse and getting in the way as i scrambled for a cord. it was funny. rascals.

11 February, 2008 06:57  
Anonymous glenn said...

ah, see, its good you clarified. i thought you had a malfunctioning cord AND came unplugged from your pedal, because i kept seeing you kick the ends of the cord into your tuning pedals. probably just trying to determine what the fudge was fudging up in the fudge factory.

11 February, 2008 10:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home