Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Testing testing

It is all out in the open: I have been working on a solo project. I have not gotten underway with the recording, but I have a fairly good idea of what material I'm going to record and who I'm going to record it with. I didn't want to make any announcement about it before I was positive I was going to do it, but now I am. I told the band last night at practice.

Needless to say, I am quite excited about this project, but this is, in no way, a sign of things going wrong for Cassavettes. Quite on the contrary, I feel like the band is better and stronger than ever (there's an antiquated notion that a solo record is a harbinger for the demise of a group, but I assure you that's not the case). While the group's draw has plateaued in some ways, the band is now at a comfortable state where we can take time off, or skip a practice, or have lives, and still sound good. The band sounds, right now, better than ever. I wondered when this day would come, and it's here. I think the tour had a lot to do with that, as well as figuring out who we are as a band and the sound we make. The band is now at the point that I'm ready to just do it. We're now comfortable accepting whatever's coming to us. If we had a spell of good luck for no reason earlier in our existence, it would have felt fradulent, I think. But now we're ready. We're a good live act, we have two CDs coming out this year (three if you count the aforementioned solo record), and we're best buds doing what we love.

The way to best describe the reason for the solo gig is this: I write a ton of material. The songs start to clog up after awhile and I get very antsy about it. This band has a particular way of playing songs where some work and some don't. Some of my best material, I feel, has gone by the wayside, not because the band couldn't pull it off, but because it didn't fit with what feels right. That's fine. But I need a way to compartmentalize my songs, and this is a great way to do it. After a while, those old songs that have accumulated are like soggy clothes that just need to be aired out and picked up, to make room for new material. In this way, and many others, I feel this will help the band -- as my writing will improve, hopefully.

But it's not just that. This album may do nothing. But it may also do something, and anything it does directly translates to greater exposure and more press for Cassavettes. There's no way that I'm not going to get tagged as a member of Cassavettes by the press, should they review the album. If I license it, it will help me establish myself as a legitimate songwriter while increasing the band's prominence. It's a win-win situation.

Finally, it gives me the opportunity to try new things with different people. Rob Loyot, who produced Girls Guns & Glory's last albums, is producing this record. I've never used a real producer before and I can see what I do and don't like about the process, and see if it's right for Cassavettes' full-length (that we're planning to lay down this summer). This will not stop me from my business duties with Cassavettes -- generally the way I work is that once I get rolling, I pick up steam. So, this should just open more doors and encourage me to work even harder.

The bottom line is this: I'm 22 and I'm out of college. The time is now to make a push in music. I feel like I have the means, contacts, and songs to make some noise, and it would be doing a disservice to myself to not give music as much of a shot as I possibly can. That's what this is all about. Taking on music, wrestling it, and hopefully making it my own.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Jenna said...

If and when you ever get the song helped with, can you please send it over? I'd really like to hear how it turned out!

28 January, 2008 19:56  
Blogger Katie said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

28 January, 2008 19:56  
Anonymous Jenna said...

Also, sorry that I talked only about me and didn't mention the stuff the blog was actually about. I can't wait to hear some of the other stuff you've come up with... also just all of the other Cassavettes songs y'all have written since your last album. And yada yada. You guys are great. You're great. Life is great.

28 January, 2008 19:59  
Anonymous Jenna said...

song i* helped with. i deleted the first one because i accidentally signed in as katie

28 January, 2008 19:59  
Anonymous glenn said...

you got it, kiddo. waiting on jimmy.

30 January, 2008 13:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home