Sunday, December 09, 2007

Secret shows

The last two days have seen us return to the stage. We didn't really advertise either show, but rather just took them as a chance to get back in live playing shape and get our bearings for the big New Year's eve show. Surprisingly, we haven't lost much of the live part.

Yesterday, we played in Maynard at the Beacon Santa Telethon. This is a sort of charity-type local telethon that gives holiday gifts, a la Globe Santa. When we played it two years ago, we had low expectations, and ended up having a great night. This was how I described it in the first post of this blog:

We finished 2005 playing Matt's former high school's holiday fundraiser, the WAVM Beacon Santa Telethon. A lot of young high school girls showed up and screamed and asked us for autographs and we were delighted to sign said autographs. We felt like the Beatles, even for just one night. Also, as long as we're talking about that show, let me note that Matt got sick off a quesadilla he ate before taking the stage and so in all the pictures with the girls from that night, we had Chris Brook step in as a look-alike. Even though it was in Matt's hometown, I don't know if the girls noticed a difference.


Anyhow, talk about a change. This year, we got no fanfare. We didn't sell any merch. We were nobodies. And we hardly played basketball this time, after a huge game the last time. Still, playing on TV with a monitor in front of us gave me a chance to see how long my hair has truly gotten now. Whoa. Too long. Caveman style even. It is constantly in my mouth and getting stuck in my teeth when singing. Nasty. Since I announced that the dream may really be over, and I may be scaling it back, I've gotten mixed reactions. But even the neutral Melanie said: "Yeah, I feel as though your hair has plateaued." I'll take that. So it may be time to trim it up -- I've been walking into walls, missing my blindspot when driving, and just looking like a scoundrel lately. Either way, the night ended with my car refusing to start worse than ever, so I'll take it to the shop on Tuesday (my day off). A cop suggested it may be the alternator, but who knows?
SET LIST (to the best of my recollection): Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / On the Lam / Whitewashed / You'll Be Crying Soon / Trouble From the Start / Golden Fleece / The Nadir / Debts / Loose Lips / Shotgun Wedding / Shine A Light

The next night we played at MassArt in a room that may be the biggest room we've ever played. It was like half-theater/half-gymnasium. And, of course, there was no one there. But we made a litte money, had an awesome video presentation going on behind us, and best of all, a dude named Forrest happened to be there who was really into hulahooping. He was so good and rhythmic that I invited him onstage to perform during "Loose Lips." He does this awesome move where he smoothly shakes the hoop up his body and onto his outstretched finger. I have a lot of respect for someone as self-confident as this guy. Anyone else would let judgment come between them and their enjoyment. But he just didn't care. He did what he wanted, and what he wanted to do was hulahoop. Matt suggested that he could have been "tripping," but I highly doubt it. I think he just likes music, dancing, and hulahooping. His dance moves actually remind me of Mike's brother John in the way that he enjoys it so much, even if sometimes he dances alone. Everyone quietly respects that, whether they admit it or not. Anyhow, as you can tell, this guy made the show. Everyone tried their hand at hulahooping, including me, despite the fact that I can't hulahoop. I tried to climb into Melanie's ring while she was going (she's quite good), but I ended up getting smacked in the nose by the hoop. It bent my nose up and hurt as bad as when I've broken it in the past. Immediately, tears came to my eyes and I went to the bathroom to check for blood. But today, no black eyes means no broken nose, just a dull pain. And it was worth a shot. After taking Scott home, I caught Rogue Heroes at Matt Murphy's and then went to a quick party at the Matts. All in all, a really great Saturday.
SET LIST: Valley of Gold / You'll Be Crying Soon / On the Lam / Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / Trouble From the Start / Shotgun Wedding / Loose Lips / Debts / Golden Fleece / The Nadir

Some other things have been up lately, behind the scenes. We're trying to organize the New Year's show, and it's getting down to the wire. We met with a manager/producer on Tuesday, and were flattered by what we heard. We'll see where that goes. And we were asked about this year's Rodfest at the Paradise, which we couldn't be more thrilled about.

This also happens to be the one year anniversary of "It's Gonna Change" being released. Have things changed for us? Yeah, we're in a good spot. Now it's just about finding the path to the next level.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous mel said...

sorry to hurt your nose, but i'm glad it inspired a decapitation-by-hula-hoop music video idea.

10 December, 2007 18:29  
Anonymous Fritz said...

Bummer. Sounds like fun. Wish I could be there but making a movie with Danny Trejo is fun too! Please don't be so secretive of your shows next time so I can plan my work schedule better.

11 December, 2007 00:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

who is fritz? has he ever been to a show? none in recent memory at least...

11 December, 2007 08:30  
Anonymous fritz said...

sorry. i've been busy working in sharon, ma and pawtucket, rhode island the past two weeks for the filming. i gosta make da $ to party!

12 December, 2007 14:45  
Anonymous scott said...

yeah come on cut the crap guys it's not like fritz can just take off weeks at a time for little to no reason, you know? the man has a job.

13 December, 2007 08:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

since when?

13 December, 2007 09:16  
Anonymous fritzer said...

i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!
i gosta make da $ to party!

13 December, 2007 14:06  
Anonymous fritz said...

someone is being an imposter fritzer.

16 December, 2007 04:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home