Wednesday, November 07, 2007

The days are getting longer (somehow)

That's right. The days may seem shorter, according to the sun, but for me, they have indeed been longer. Please forgive me for the lack of posts lately -- and if you've tried contacting me lately, or the band, and haven't heard back, don't take offense to that either. I have hardly been able to check the band's email, or MySpace, or Facebook, or whatever we normally do as promotion and messaging. My days at work have been wild since last week, long and strenuous, and I worked Sunday, too. So, apologies all around. I'm worn out. But I have learned how to sleep again, on a semi-regular basis, and I've been waking up early since my lazy attempt at running a few months back. There are perks.

Anyhow, the one bit of news that is anything breaking is that a New Year's Eve show that we've been scrambling to organize fell through. Bummer. But all hope is not lost. Please plan to spend New Year's with us. There will be a celebration.

Although it seems like ages ago, last week was Halloween and I've promised an update on a couple shows: one at Northeastern and one at Hennessy's, with Cassavettes performing as Neil Young. There's not much to say on the Northeastern show -- it was fairly unattended, as expected (no promotion on our end, too busy), but we had A LOT of fun. I tried gyrating like Scott, and with Scott, and eventually I was rocking so hard that I'm fairly certain I gave myself a hernia. It popped, it hurt, I couldn't walk right or stand up straight for a couple days. It still hurts when I lie down. TD has urged me to go to the hospital a few times, but for one thing, my health insurance is in limbo and second, I've been checked for hernias numerous times with nothing consequential. If I have to, I'll go. Enough said. Either way, I wouldn't say it was worth it, but I don't regret doing the move. I was jamming, and having more fun than I normally would have to a scattered crowd. One of the other bands insulted the sound guys from the stage -- by far the rudest faux pas I've seen in some time. I couldn't believe that poor etiquette. I vowed a psuedo revenge. Or cold shoulder. Or nothing. Photos discovered here.



SET LIST: Coming soon

The Neil show was a big pain in the neck for the past month. We all wondered how we'd pull it off, with no time to practice the material while on tour. Combine that with the fact that we're a band that doesn't learn covers fast or well, and we've got a headache. At one point during the tour, Matt told me, "We all talked about it at Cracker Barrel and agreed that we're worrying too much." Perhaps he was right. We got in a solid 1 1/2 practices before the show, and worked up a short set. Actually, it sounded pretty darn good, though we left off "Helpless" and a couple others. Scott took the lead as Neil himself, as he does a great talking impression and a good singing impression. For the role, Scott selflessly sacrificed his tour beard for mutton chops and parted his hair down the middle. I went intending to look like Neil's longtime bass player/Native American chief, but ended up looking more like Willie Nelson. Mike played a kicker -- somewhat regular dress, just wearing the cowboy hat we got at Sammy Miami's birthday party. Matt went as Matt. I played bass (loved it), and Scott showed his guitar skills. The crowd was REALLY into it, surprisingly, and it was broadcast live on WFNX.




After the show, I got audience comments ranging from "Neil would be proud" to "Kill me and steal the bag of mushrooms I've been saving to see Neil at the Orpheum next month." I said thank you to the first guy and declined the second's offer, but asked for his tickets. He said no. Either way, it would have been a perfect night if I wasn't about to fall of the stage from fatigue, Fritz wasn't dressed as a creepy Stewie (complete with fake baby ass), and we didn't leave the harmonicas at the club. I still have to get them. Thankfully, this wasn't a place on tour where we couldn't go back and get them.







SET LIST: Out on the Weekend / Cinnamon Girl / Ohio / Heart of Gold / Harvest Moon / Walk On

Other than these shows, the week has been about work. And Jimmy. Yes, I finally convinced my old Duffer cohort to come visit last weekend, though it took a Superdrag reunion to really get him here. He and his brother hung with us for a couple days, as we walked around, went to New Hampshire, and of course, saw Superdrag. Scott and I really felt like big shots, for the first time ever, getting into the show for free, drinking for free, knowing the band, etc. It was awesome. Plus, Jimmy and John got a pseudo shout out from the stage that might have made their year (they are huge, huge fans). We may have also cemented our plans for the next album, too. We'll see.

Anyhow, I best get off here. Need to relax when not working. Maybe order a za and watch the Celtics (I accidentally skipped an invite from GGG to do this). Wish me well. I will try to update again, but in case I don't, we're playing a big show Saturday at the Middle East Downstairs. We will only be playing once this month, and it will likely be our last show before New Year's, so hopefully we see you there! I'll do my best to stay awake.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous fritz said...

whatev. the stewie costume got rave reviews :)

08 November, 2007 15:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home