Monday, October 08, 2007

Not so bad!

Well not so good, either. Our show last night, opening for Earlimart and Office, was a so-so show any way you slice it. The crowd was smaller than usual (coupled with the fact that the show took place in the always cavernous Harper's Ferry), we played earlier than we or the crowd is unfortunately now accustomed to, and we only played OK, perhaps because we were shaking off the rust that's accumulated since Ohio.

After the show, I tried to say something to Matt and he turned his back on me and stormed off. I'm not sure he heard me, but I think he did. Later, he let it all out, in front of Ricky and Mary Ann, telling me that the three guys in front of him need to get their act together and start playing the songs correctly. Now, personally, I don't mind him venting about this at a show or any other time. I want to be able to discuss this kind of thing. Indeed, it is healthy. I think all four of us have room for improvement, and there are many mistakes still being made that shouldn't be made. That said, I don't think it's fair to over-criticize last night's performance. The crowd wasn't moving, so we had to put more into it than usual to try to get a rise out of them. As a result, I may have missed a few notes (I know I messed up "The Nadir" 3-4 times while trying to tune, though Matt claims he heard a lot more mistakes. Personally, I don't think I'd deny it if it were true -- I readily admit that "The Nadir" was all my fault. But hey, two different opinions), Scott came unplugged again while walking into the audience, and I'm not sure how Mike played because my monitor mix for some reason didn't include him. But when I did hear him, he sounded good.

So, we fought about this to the point of it becoming the main point of the night. As I said, I'm glad we did. I think these kinds of full band disagreements are extremely productive sometimes. We were fighting loud enough for our friend Justin to come over and tell us he couldn't help but hear us and that this was all "minute bullshit" (note: I think the "minute" is significant because that's how you fine-tune) and that we put on a good show, etc. He said we have all the elements, we just need to figure out how to fill out the sound completely. Still figuring that one out. Either way, we all struck a sort of agreement by saying all this would be muted if we had played a normal show on a normal night and more people had been more into it. Besides, it couldn't have been THAT bad, look at how this third-party (a blogger) perceived the performance:
There was an opening band, local favorites Cassavettes who use an extra “t” in their name so as to not get confused with “Cassavetes,” an indie rock band from Georgia. I would pay good money to see both these bands battle it out (either musically or physically) to see who gets to keep the name and who will be forced to change it to “Cassa de la Vettes.”

Anyway, I was surprised. Cassavettes put on a decent set and were pretty comfortable on stage, so much so that the bass player found it necessary to mental transport to the ‘90s and began head-banging on stage. I wasn’t sure if he was just born too late or an ironic genius. Either one would have been fine.

(Random: Whenever Dave, the other guy with 52shows, saw a guy at college who looked small and thin with a large head, we deemed him Bashettti. It meant we wanted to pound the shit out of this person, for no good reason. This is how I felt about the guitarist.)

The crowd was really into (I’m assuming they were all friends with the band) and it allowed band members to leave the stage and roam about the crowd, being more epic than a local band should be. And maybe they aren’t just a local band. They keep this up, they could go places.


Now it doesn't seem so bad, eh? (Well, I'm not sure what he's saying about Scott and either Mike or I, but that's his business). But this is why I think it's good to argue about this "minute bullshit." Because if people offstage still see it as a good show, good crowd, but we aren't satisfied, it drives us to improve. And that's the name of the game at this stage.

All in all, I'm not disappointed we did the show. I'm not even swearing off Harper's, as some have hoped. I really like their new management, actually (even though we were essentially paid peanuts, although according to the blogger the other bands' "crowd was inexplicably smaller than that of Cassavettes." That's OK, there were two touring bands and us in front of a so-so crowd, I'd prefer the touring bands get what money there is to keep touring. It's karmic and fair). I think this is a fairly humble show to leave for the tour on, which may prove to be a good thing. We don't want to go from packed house to empty house with such a dramatic dropoff, do we? I don't know. We will see.




SET LIST: You'll Be Crying Soon / Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / Golden Fleece / Trouble From The Start / Six Hours / On The Lam / Shotgun Wedding / Loose Lips / The Nadir / Debts

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Brian Bergeron said...

sorry i couldn't make the show glenn. i would have liked to have come even if it was in your opinion 'so-so'. You have, however, inspired me to start my own blog and I've been on a tear the last week. You da man.

talk to you soon,
Brian Bergeron

08 October, 2007 10:27  
Anonymous mel said...

sorry the post-show party didn't happen. alcohol got the best of me. you guys were great though!

08 October, 2007 11:14  

Post a Comment

<< Home