Sunday, October 21, 2007

Day 9 & 10: Whiskey, you're the devil

Sunday, Oct. 21
3:18 p.m.

Philadelphia, Penn. - In case you were wondering, we made it to Dewey Beach. The drive was a haul for sure, but definitely worth it. We knew this was our last chance to really hang with Girls Guns & Glory, and thus we applied the full court press to get them to stay one more night. It worked. Whiskey-fueled debauchery ensued. I mutually regret it and cherish the memory.

Our hotel was in a great location, directly across the street from the club called The Rusty Rudder, and situated on the peninsula between the Atlantic Ocean and the bay, I believe. Look from our porch to one side and there's water, to the other, water as well (see below, pictures 2 and 3). We made the reservations on the ride thanks to a tip from Ward, shortly after stopping at the Yoder Deli for half-decent sandwiches. After checking in, everyone pretty much crashed, but I couldn't for some reason. I knew I needed sleep, but I just couldn't. So I showered and talked on the phone until GGG showed up and wanted to go to the beach for a bit.





This festival was set up in truly unique fashion. It was one club with four stages, two indoor and two outdoor. We were playing the smaller indoor stage, directly followed by GGG on the bigger indoor stage. These guys were the biggest thing to hit Dewey Beach it seemed -- they played three shows in two days and when Scott announced they were playing next, there was a sizable roar. Of course, disaster struck. Right before our set, my amp, which has been having power problems, refused to turn on. I don't know how I'll get myself out of this mess for the longterm or the rest of this tour, but last night I used Jeff's amp (despite the fact that it's a Fender...). Actually, we had a number of technological problems -- my phone is dead, my amp is dead, and the car needed a jump. But the show must go on, and on it did go.


People are surprising responsive to original music they've never heard. Immediately, a fairly good-sized crowd gathered and danced, it may have peaked between 75-100 people. Maybe more. In fact, people respect the original music I was told, by some guy who missed our set and said "Sorry, I missed your set... Wait, it isn't covers is it?" No, no covers. "Good, then you're good." Very strange. We played well, for the most part, except that my amp settings kept changing, so I had to adjust on the fly. But still, we did well, I believe. We kept it fairly uptempo since the crowd seemed to want to rock. After the set, a guy named Charlie repeatedly told me how he surfs and boards and LOVES rocking. He was cool. Another guy bought us that first whiskey. It was a good time.
SET LIST 1: Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / On the Lam / You'll Be Crying Soon / Golden Fleece / Like Secrets Beneath / Shotgun Wedding / Loose Lips / Shine A Light

Notice the above set list says, "Set List 1." That's because we did TWO sets for DOUBLE the money, because the band following us didn't show up. Problem is, we ran out of material that was uptempo, somewhat, but the crowd went with it anyway. They were dancing to the slow ones and jamming to the fast ones. It was unbelievable. By this time, the whiskey had taken hold and we were going crazy. We ran out of CDs for sale, so TD and Fritz may have to bring some extras when we play Worcester in a few days. But hey, it's like a sarcastic sign I saw off the highway today: "DON'T ADVERTISE! You might run out of product."
SET LIST 2: A Hard Rain / Debts / The Nadir / Seasons / The Devil's Arms / Whitewashed / Better Than This

We hung at the bar for the rest of the night before heading back. I'm fairly certain the bartender was giving us all free whiskey, which led to some craziness later in the night, including both bands standing around in their underwear and me somehow ending up completely naked in front of both bands. It was stupid. Whatever. We promised GGG a wild last night on their tour, and hopefully this sufficed. I think so, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't still regret it. I've felt sick all day, and missed the trip to downtown Philly to nap in Matt's sister's room. But I needed it. Over the past three days, I've gotten nowhere near a full night of sleep. I'll be taking it easy for the rest of the tour, I believe. But now we have one crazy memory.

No show tonight, just taking it easy and watching Game 7 of the ALCS. That's fine by me. I still need to rest up.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous fritz said...

SOX ARE GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!! See ya soon broskies!

22 October, 2007 22:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home