Friday, October 19, 2007

Day 8: The ultimate compliment

Murfreesboro, Tenn. - So, two things didn't happen that I thought might when I last wrote. For one, we didn't get a recording of the show. After Scott and I hurried around West Knoxville from Best Buy to Guitar Center to Circuit City, we couldn't find the necessary recording piece. Second, no one really came, except a handful of locals and three of our Texas friends (one being Mike's brother) who now live in Murfreesboro, where I am currently broadcasting from. But the show was still loads of fun, and I am completely smitten with the club, who said they'd love to have us back at any time.

The place is booked by Superdrag drummer Don Coffey Jr., which is incredible considering they are one of my favorite bands ever. Don also looks remarkably similar to Matt (see below), except for height and age. He's an awesome guy, totally friendly. Well, toward the end of Superdrag's career, as they were increasingly disillusioned with big business record labels, Don began recording the band's albums personally. Oddly enough, after listening to us on Myspace, before even seeing us, he apparently dropped a little nugget to Matt and Scott, saying, "I'd love to do your next record." Say WHAT? That would be incredible, though it would require us holing up in Knoxville for a while. I'm going to get in touch with him and see what he would think about doing a few songs this summer, and we'll do a few songs elsewhere, master them all together and put out a full-length. Either way, when Scott told me that Don mentioned it in passing, I was utterly shocked. "Had he heard us?" I wondered. Apparently, it was no joke. After our set tonight, Don and I talked for a while as he likened us to "power pop of the Knoxville tradition" before railing off a few non-Knox bands that we sound like -- late Teenage Fanclub, Big Star, etc. He concluded this mindblowing conversation with a simple statement: "I love your band." Then he said it again. All I could say is I love your band, too, so much that I can't describe. Honestly, what do you do when a musician you basically grew up idolizing pays you the ultimate compliment?

The set went well enough. Although the place was great, I couldn't hear much onstage, so I can't tell you if we played well or not. We did try to mix it up by throwing in a few tunes we haven't done in awhile -- "On Our Own" and "Ambivalent Farewells." I can't remember the last time we did "On Our Own," which is too bad. I like the song, and it sounded decent from what I could tell. It's just a hard one to pull off correctly. And it was a somber occasion since it was our last show after a week-long jaunt with Girls Guns & Glory (they headed for Delaware a day earlier, so we will meet up for a few more shows together down the line). I dedicated two songs to them, "Like Secrets Beneath" upon request and "You'll Be Crying Soon," to suggest they'll be crying when they miss us. Their set tonight was awesome. Jeff is really getting comfortable in the guitarist role and you can tell the rest of the band is responding, too. Plus, they have about 2-3 new songs kicking around that just slay me. Unreal. Also, spirits were high for many in the two groups because the Sox annihilated the Indians last night, easing some major tensions. That usually makes for a better night all around. And to top it all off, Don picked up the check for us!




SET LIST: Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / Shotgun Wedding / Loose Lips / Golden Fleece / Trouble From the Start / On Our Own / Like Secrets Beneath / On the Lam / You'll Be Crying Soon / Ambivalent Farewells / The Nadir / Debts

After the show and my talk with Don, we loaded up and headed for Murfreesboro, about three hours away, but far closer to Nashville. The trip stretched out longer when we got lost, and we didn't get here until after 5 a.m. Unfortunately, I couldn't sleep past 10 today, and I really wanted a good rest since tonight is the "Great Haul," a 13-hour drive from Nashville to Delaware. Either way, Matt and Scott are still asleep now, so hopefully they'll be well-rested. The show tonight is with our old Boston buddy Jabe Beyer, who produced our last record and then moved to Nashville. It should be real special. But first, I want to get in some Nashville hang time. To the Ryman!

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous fritz said...

that's awesome to get compliments from Don! Congrats!

19 October, 2007 11:01  
Blogger Chris said...

whoa

19 October, 2007 17:49  
Anonymous Jenna said...

WHOA thats so cool!

20 October, 2007 00:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home