Friday, October 12, 2007

Day 1: Baby steps

Queens, NY -- I figure I should continue with the dateline thing, even if I'm writing this LIVE. Thanks to the lovely Lauren, who has now put us up in Queens for the second time, I am on her iBook and going strong.

Yesterday, we headed out on this tour with what may have been a lack of enthusiasm, as least from my perspective. Maybe this is because I was a little peeved about the way things got started, but once we were on the road, my worries floated out the window. Matt half-packed an ENORMOUS duffel bag, which for some reason is a sore subject with him. Whenever anyone even hints at the bag, Matt loses his head. It's weird. I would think it would be the other way around where he would be apologetic because we were mad he took up so much dang room. But I suppose he supports pre-emptive strikes, because even inquiring about the bag makes him go bananas. He'll probably read this and get inexplicably angry, but hey, I'm a blogger. Transparency is the biz. Anyhow, we finally got the DVDs going in the van on the drive down, right as we hit a torrential downpour. Seriously, a large number of vehicles (not just 18-wheelers) were pulling off the road, and I floated the idea by the rest of the guys. It was about 6:30 by this point and we had the time to get to New York slowly, so we went with the flow of traffic VERY slowly. Try an average of 17 MPH for about two hours. That's how we arrived in the Big Apple, where we were greeted with, yes, another traffic jam. We got to the club right around 9 p.m.

Our tour mates Girls Guns & Glory had similar luck and were quite a bit behind us. So, while we ate dinner and got some beers at a little bar called 1849, they frantically were trying to see if we'd switch slots. Gladly, I said, but the club owner at Kenny's Castaways said it was unnecessary. The club was running late, too. So, we just waited it out. I saw Norah Jones on the street in the Village, at least I'm 95 percent sure it was her. Looked just like her. If any wiseguy/wisegirl (I think I know who would do this) wants to prove me wrong and Google her and find out she is actually on tour, I welcome it. But for now, I'm convinced. Scott was saddened that he missed her, because it has been Scott's longstanding dream to marry Norah Jones, not because he particularly likes her (though he SORT OF does) but because they have the same last name, and it would make marriage easier. I do not understand his logic sometimes.

Anyhow, we headed back to the club to see some music. The club itself is cool, I'm guessing it normally has a pirate theme, but because of the upcoming holiday, they had it decked out (no pirate pun intended) in spiderwebs and what not. One wall is all fake knives. My kind of place. We watched GGG play and they put on a great show. They brought a decent crowd, I believe their final head count was in the mid-20s (not bad for NY by any means), and the crowd was singing and enthusiastic. One particularly enthusiastic girl was dancing alone and singing near the stage, when she went to get her boyfriend. He walked up with her and they started dancing together, but right away he tried to spin her and she WIPED OUT. Big time. Beer everywhere. In front of the whole room. And this guy just walked off! I couldn't believe it. And she looked pissed, got up, ran after him, and get this -- gave him a kiss. Whoa nelly.

Anyhow, we hit the stage around 11:20 p.m. and started it grooving. We tried to keep the set relatively uptempo, and I was surprised how into it the crowd was. For one thing, Scott was being very engaging this night. He walked on tables, made a lot of Stephen Baldwin references, and talked sports (always a good way to appeal to an out of town crowd). They sort of were digging us. I like that. Mike got down and dirty, too, walking out into the crowd to play some guitar. Scott came back on stage and several times ran his hands or bass down my keyboard. The first time he nearly knocked it off its stand. What an ass. We played pretty well, from what I could tell it sounded fairly tight, and I had a better time than I imagined. Plus, we made the same amount at the door that we spent on gas getting down here. That's the goal for this thang, so I'm happy.
SET LIST: You'll Be Crying Soon / Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / Golden Fleece / Trouble From the Start / On the Lam / Shotgun Wedding / Loose Lips / Debts / Shine A Light





After the show, we did actually OK at getting people to sign the mailing list. This was my top priority, because we NEED to start building up in NYC. Every time we play here, we just bring old friends or people from Massachusetts (last night, we were graced by the likes of Lauren, Stephanie, Marya, and Kyle, all bringing friends and smiles). That's a good starting point, but we've played NYC over 10 times now, easily. It has to start building. You dig? So this was a good stepping stone. Some girl came up to me and started telling me that my hair made me look like a celebrity. Which? I can't remember. Or maybe there wasn't one, and she was just talking in general terms. I'm fine either way.

There was talk of going to a bar with GGG, but we were all pretty beat and just wanted to get back to Queens. So we illegally stuffed an extra two people in the car, and headed out. I slept with Scott on a couch. It was cool. When I woke up, "The Office" was on. Also cool. Still don't understand that show, though. I need to go back and watch from the beginning, I guess. Anyhow, we're hanging around here for lunch and then heading back north, to play in New London, Ct., tonight. Should be good. I haven't tried to rig the cell phone/lap top concoction yet, so I don't know when I'll be able to post next. But I will do my best, and hopefully I can throw some pictures from last night up on this post. Until then, you know what to do.




Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What kind of sports comments?

"Too bad about those uh, Yankees"

Haha

12 October, 2007 14:32  
Blogger Tara said...

Uhhh, comments such as the following:

a.) There are two types of people in this world: those who like Neil Diamond and those who don't."

anddddd...

b.) "What about Bob?!"


oorrr...

c.) "What the f@%$ happened to 'What about Bob Two?!'???

13 October, 2007 00:37  
Blogger Tara said...

duh.

13 October, 2007 00:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home