Saturday, June 09, 2007

Adventures of Glenn Glengary and Gary Glengary

Last night's show in Winchester was really special. It was a rare experience, not because of how we played, who we played for, or anything else about the performance. No, it's because for the first time since we rented a 15-passenger van almost 15 months ago to drive to New York City, the entire band has traveled to a gig together in the same car (including SXSW). It's been even longer since it was ONLY the four of us in a car.

And you know what? It was awesome. Part of the fun of being in a band is spending time with your closest pals, those that are closer than brothers (or so I imagine, since these are the brothers I never had). We haven't had that, for whatever reason. Not to say we don't appreciate the help of others driving us around, since we simply don't have a car big enough to fit all of our stuff and four grown men normally (last night, we were able to fit it all because we didn't need to bring drums and a couple amps), but this was a welcome change. For the first time in a long time, we were all able to feel a part of it together, laugh at the same jokes, talk about what's going on. I know that sounds simple, but believe me, when you've been without it, you realize it's very special.

Anyhow, as far as the show goes, it was OK. I'm always happy to do a benefit, and this was the Concert 4 Chris, raising money for scholarships for Winchester kids in the memory of a boy who died a few years back. So, if the cause is right, I'm right there. The opening bands were cool, many of them cover bands (if we didn't have to close the show with the mandated "I Shall Be Released," we would have been the only band to not play a cover -- but I'm glad we did the Dylan tune, too). There was a whole lot of Neil Young on this night, which I really dug, for obvious reasons. And some really talented young musicians, which is always inspiring. I don't think anyone took pictures, though there was some rudimentary audio recording going on, so some lost tapes may emerge someday. By the time we took the stage, last of five bands, the room had nearly emptied out -- not surprisingly. Who cares? You never know what to expect at these small-town benefit shows, where people come to support their friends. When I went to The Max in high school to see a friend play, I'd leave after that friend's performance. Yes, I'm ashamed, but hey, that's honesty. So, who are we to expect a bunch of kids with active social lives to stick around for a college group they don't know? That's just how it goes. But one enthusiastic dancer did stick around: this guy, Peter. Honestly. Remember him? Also, we got to hang with good buds Wonderful Spells (who are responsible for the title of this post), except I bought a shirt from them (labeled medium) to come home and find it's a child's medium. So now Tara is wearing it.

Anyhow, we played pretty well, from what I can tell. The sound was pretty rough, probably because this town hall had ridiculously high, cavernous ceilings that made everything reverberate like crazy. I couldn't tell what I was hearing. But there were two personal highlights: the debut of a new song, currently untitled, that just might have been the best song we played all night AND the everyone-on-stage sing-a-long of "I Shall Be Released." That was cool. I couldn't stop smiling; I was having a good time by that point.

Either way, a good night for the most part with good laughs with good buds. The way being in a band is supposed to feel. Am I right?
SET LIST: She's A Bright Light / Shotgun Wedding / Loose Lips / On The Lam / Trouble From The Start / NEW SONG UNTITLED (Debut) / Six Hours / Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / It's Gonna Be Alright / I Shall Be Released

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Fritz said...

sounds like fun times! pretty random meeting peter too! i woulda asked if he had more mooninites :) haha!

http://xff.xanga.com/b3ed0a7774130104215568/t73612272.jpg

09 June, 2007 19:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home