Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Back log

With all the coverage of David Halberstam's death over the last two days, I've spent some time reading up on his incredible life. But one of the more poignant things he said, in my readings, was actually a quote from Julius Erving. Or Dr. J. I quote: "Being a professional is doing the things you love to do on the days you don't feel like doing them." I feel that. That's an inspiration to practice, even when you don't want to. To go to a big show that you're nervous about. It's about taking it seriously. I love it.

Anyhow, quick update: The band practiced again last night, getting ready for Friday's show. We've got a nice, tight 10-song set together. You won't hear Mike's new tune, or the one I introduced last night, tentatively titled "She's A Bright Light." But you will hear some rockers. Ah yeah, rockers.

Now, I'm researching a paper on iTunes and I happened to use my resources to search for Cassavettes articles I may have missed. There are a couple small things I haven't put up, including a number from the Patriot Ledger, but they did an article on Rodfest in January and we got a nice mention from Kier.

The other outsider band is Cassavettes, whose tunes on the sampler CD might remind you of Counting Crows. This group formed while they were students at Northeastern University, and it won the 2006 Boston Music Award as Best Local Band.

"I'd say the Cassavettes are like Tom Petty-meets-Elvis Costello," said Byrnes. "Some of them are originally from Texas, so there's a definite Americana feel, but they're also a New England rock band now."


A Herald Rumble wrap I missed: "Night 2: In a surprise victory, the endless melodies of Baker vaulted it ahead of favorites Cassavettes and Aloud, who brought their Americana and arena-rock ``A'' games, respectively."

If I'm missing anything, let me know.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous glenn said...

oh, it should be noted, that a lot of that article seems factually incorrect. we didnt win that BMA, we were just nominated, and only one of us went to northeastern. still, whatever. it's all good.

27 April, 2007 10:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home