Wednesday, February 07, 2007

24: It's about time... a very specific amount of time

Last night, the group played what was one of the most bizarre shows of our entire playing career. It was free and at afterHOURS at Northeastern University with our buddies Cherryaxe, and really, really strange. We played OK, but my amp apparently broke, and despite a resolution to cut down on the between song banter, there were a lot of lulls. One notable lull was before bringing back "On Our Own" where we had to set up the steel, I hit myself in the mouth with my guitar and started to bleed, and then forgot to grab my harmonica, thereby stopping a song mid-song. The good news is that the set was pretty much demolished in formal terms at that point, so I don't think anyone cared. Apparently, my guitar was too loud in the audience and my vocals were too softs, which is a shame because my guitar was too soft onstage and I think I was having a particularly good singing night. The voice was feeling rock solid. There were a few flubs by all of us on the whole, but, eh, who cares? Even though the crowd was small, I still contend that playing these types of shows is good for the band right now. We may be maxing out our draw a bit, but we're gaining valuable live playing experience that will serve us well in the next few months. So, despite having a fat lip today, I regret nothing about last night. Plus, we made a pretty penny and I got to wear my new Gravedigger Blues shirt onstage! Here's what appears to be a small slideshow and poor-quality video clip of "It's Gonna Be Alright" from last night, posted by Fritz.
SET LIST: Loose Lips / On The Lam / Debts / The Devil's Arms / Shotgun Wedding / The Nadir / Seasons / On Our Own / It's Gonna Be Alright / Carolyn, Don't Leave Like This / Shine A Light

More news on Texas: First off, we were accepted to a South By Southwest party! However, it will have to be just for fun, because we aren't playing our own tunes. We'll be doing a Pete Townshend/The Who song -- probably "You Better, You Bet" or maybe "Squeezebox." Here's the info from the woman putting it together:
Berklee's Pete Townshend Rewind is an official SXSW party.

We'll have more detailed info posted up there next week once all the artists are confirmed, and we will have flyers, posters and the party will be included in the SXSW party envelope for registrants and program guides.

Here's a story that went up on our website to give you an idea of how it worked last year: http://www.berklee.edu/news/2006/04/sxsw06.html

The party is at Friends, 208 E. 6th St., Friday, March 16, 2:00-5:00 pm


This sounds like a lot of fun! I can't wait.

In other Texas news, Rubber Gloves in Denton is letting us put together our own bill for March 11, so we are looking for area bands to fill the place up. Any suggestions? We're game.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that video fritz posted was taken right after i fell down and it looks like a crazy punk rock show. it rules.

07 February, 2007 11:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet title to your post!

07 February, 2007 14:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home