Sunday, December 10, 2006

CD release, a wrap

Well, it's a relief. I wish I could describe the night with more exuberance, but all I recall is telling someone (sorry, don't recall who) the following accurate description of my feelings after last night's CD release show: it's like a burden lifted after you take a big test. After so much money and time and hope building toward it, I'm glad to have cleared it. Which isn't to say it wasn't one of the coolest nights in history. It's just the test analogy works for me right now because I'm knee deep in studying. GARFUNKEL! (Wouldn't that make a great exclamation?) But yeah, and unfortunately, I wore my concern. Aram asked Tara why I looked anxious, and the response wasn't surprising. He's in the same boat. Also, real quick, special thanks to Mammoth Press for declaring yesterday Cassavettes Day.

Anyhow, here's how the night went. Bummer: The show was delayed due to an earlier show at the club running long, so we didn't do a proper soundcheck or anything, nor did we set up our merch table as well as I'd hoped. We never got our holiday lights functioning (perhaps it's true that when one fails, they all go). Big ups: We sold the show out. Not only did we do that, we did it early. Around 10:30 p.m., and they had to turn away about 30 folks. The feeling following that is both excitement for our first sell-out, but also disappointment because some of those kids were people who support us by coming to every show. I guestlisted and did what I could to get whoever I could into the show, but still a number couldn't get in. Anyhow, the show brought out an interesting array of people -- my plane buddy Dave, Jabe, our normal friends and fans, Bobby, etc. All in all, it felt good. The room was packed, and I do think that played a part in what resulted in less dancing that normal. But still, people were grooving, getting into the "fiesta" theme with maracas, etc. Plus, there was a surprising number of people in the crowd who knew a large portion of the lyrics, even though they didn't have the CD yet. That was cool. And of course, Fritz appeared in an oversized Christmas stocking. Not sure exactly why still. The band played pretty well for the most part, I think, though I couldn't hear anything except drums and Mike's vocals. Halfway through the first song, I felt my voice go. This cold that has been plaguing me didn't have an affect on my vocals for all other performances over the last couple weeks, but it hit me hard onstage. It felt like going through puberty all over again. I kept my voice in the mid-level, not too high, not too low, so that it wouldn't sound horrible. I'm still not happy about it. But then again, I'm known to focus on imperfection, or so I'm told. We ended up doing the switching instruments thing at the end, and it worked out OK. Though for some reason Chris told Scott to wrap it up. Ha. Anyway, my final thoughts coming away from the show were that a) we should never open with "It's Gonna Be Alright" again because I think it's something the live show should build to and b) having Jabe join the band onstage for "Lightning In A Bottle" was pretty much the coolest thing ever. It sounded great, it was fun to jam with him a little, and it just felt right. I'm excited for the next phase of this band; I think selling out the Middle East moves us into a new class of where we should be playing. It's going to be an exciting 2007!








Also, major thanks to the Matts for hosting the afterparty, even though it was crowded (in a good way). I hope I got enough money to you. I didn't feel much like drinking last night, so I kept everything in moderation, which is perhaps why I didn't enjoy the later night activities as others (like Dukes, who proudly strolled around the apartment in his boxers). Highlight of the party: Scott's one-man dance show. While others may argue that his dance-off with Zack B. was better, I disagree. Scott's solo dance was incredible. Just incredible.

Anyhow, in the next few weeks, I'm going to see SO many local shows, it's not funny. But it's going to be great. All I need to do is get through these tests first. Wish me luck.

Love, Glenn

2 Comments:

Anonymous melanie said...

i'm usually not very picky, but because i love this boy so much i thought i would offer the clarification for future reference that Zack B spells his name with a 'k'.

11 December, 2006 13:59  
Blogger cassavettes said...

duly noted.

12 December, 2006 08:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home