Thursday, October 05, 2006

Moving toward printing

OK so I'm fairly convinced we'll be going with A to Z Media for our new album's printing -- if you recall, I met Clay last week at NEMO's Trade Show. He sent me a price quote for our initial shipment of 1,000 CDs and the numbers are better than anything I've seen thus far. So I'll check back with Ball Media and give them a chance to match or beat, but they still charge shipping since they're based in Canada. Which is a drag. Which is why I'm leaning toward A to Z.

Over the past 24 hours, Jaclyn (who is designing this baby PRO BONO) and I have spoken twice at length about the design of the innards and outtards of the album. I just copy edited the album's lyrics, to make sure everything was looking right. It's looking to be a blue and white theme, as chosen by Dan (who is doing the artwork PRO BONO), with an 8-page booklet that WILL have the lyrics on the inside. This is very exciting to me, as I've never had an album with the lyrics inside for monetary purposes, plus I think the lyrics are really one of my favorite parts of this disc. As far as the front cover, I ended up talking it over with Dan after the band dispute. Turns out, he was thinking basically what I was thinking -- that it needed some texture. I think that will give it the immediacy we were hoping for. This kid rules, by the way, he did our last album cover and is just a phenomenal artist. I have a lot of faith in him to pull out something really sweet for this album cover.

Anyhow, getting this printing project ready to go will be a huge weight off my back. Right now there are miniscule details to go over. First, there are two printing projects. The first is the most immediate -- a shipment of 1,000 unpackaged bulk CDs -- of our "single." This means Jaclyn needs to only make the template that will fill up the CD's face. That needs to be ready to go by next week. Then, the second part is the big printing project of the whole CD. That can wait until the end of the month, but I want to allow ample printing time before the Dec. 9 release. So I hope to ship those templates out by Oct. 27.

Finally, I started a new money management system yesterday, adding up all the record's costs and then seeing how much that meant we should charge for the album. The rough estimate is $10 per CD, and we need to sell half of the records we get to break even. I also am about to invest in new shirts (we recently sold out of our initial design), and there has been demand for girl's shirts. So, I hope to get 200 new shirts in the next month, and maybe some stickers, in time for our Nov. 6 show at Great Scott. So there is plenty to keep me busy.

Tomorrow, Scott and I are going to see Ian at New Alliance to master the disc. That will be the final part of the process that deals with sound. Then, I'll post our new single, "On Our Own," on MySpace. We'll see how that all goes.

On a personal note, I am very much smitten with RSS and newsreaders. Talk about a time saver! Man, I need to figure out how to get RSS for this site -- that would be swell. Any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home