Saturday, October 07, 2006

From Virginia Beach

Virginia Beach, Va.-
I put a dateline on this entry to show that I am outside of the normal boundaries right now. I'm in the good ole South, visiting my parents, and relaxing a bit after finishing the actual audio part of this album. Last night, I was on the phone with Tara, and she asked me if I was relieved to get the record done. And I think it's important to note that it's not done. Not by a long shot. Like I told her, we're about maybe 1/8 of the way there. See, after you wrap up the audio portion (recording, mixing, then mastering), it's time to do the behind-the-scenes stuff: promotion, building hype, bar-coding, printing the disc and the single, trying to get press in advance, sending out the album, making a new website to correlate with the album's art, trying to make a splash on radio airwaves, then releasing the album, etc. There's still a long way to go on this baby. But yes, I am relieved to get this part over with.

Yesterday, I spent most of the day with the affable Ian Kennedy at New Alliance Studios in Cambridge. We all know the New Alliance tale... they were famously ousted from their home near Fenway Park and had to set up shop on the other side of the river. Turns out, it's a stone's throw from the Middle East and a great, great space. Ian was a true delight to work with, too. He listened, he made really helpful suggestions, and I am, surprisingly, very pleased with the final product. The acid test will come on Monday when I get back and the other guys hear the final version. We'll see. But my guess is that they'll like it. I do.

It was kind of a hectic day. I hardly got any sleep the night before, then I got to the studio about 10 a.m. Ian hadn't slept at all after taking the wife to the airport, so we just went about the biz. He didn't have the song "Trouble From That Start" -- I guess Jabe never gave it to him. Or forgot to. Either way, we just figured it was too much of a hassle to get it from Jabe and mutually decided not to include that song on the album. Just kidding. Jabe hooked it via the Internet and we were rolling, mastering up some "Trouble." Then, I thought that "On Our Own" could use a harmony boost, but Ian couldn't do it without the raw tracks. Turns out, those tracks only live on a harddrive we stored everything on during recording. It happened to be back at my house. So I left the studio, waited for a bus that never came, took the train, grabbed the harddrive and took a bus back to the studio. We laid down the harmony, boosted it, mixed, sequenced, and burned. I listened quickly and then hopped in a cab to the airport. The cabbie says, "Do you want the meter or to give me $32?" I was confused, and just said $32 will be fine. Unfortunately for him, I only had $32 on me, plus some change, so he got a $2 tip in quarters. Sorry dude! In between all this, I nearly missed my flight, got stuck in airport traffic and didn't eat. It sucked. But then I sat next to a cool guy on the plane from San Antonio and all was well. Hey, all's well that ends well, right?

I tried to upload our new single to MySpace last night, but this computer only does M4A format, unlike MP3, and that ain't working. So we'll deal with what we've got now, and I'll post the song on Monday.

For now, I just need to wrap some stuff up for class and take it easy. Real easy, hopefully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home